My Summer Internship

This week, Ambassador Nick writes about how the Arts & Sciences’ Career Development Center helped prepare him for his internship.

By Nick Smith ’20, Economics major, Business, Psychology and Leadership minors

This summer I’ll be working as a Financial Analyst Intern at Ashford, Inc., a hospitality-focused asset management firm in Dallas, Texas. Not only was this I job I was offered after the company came to Cornell’s campus for in-person interviews, but I prepared for the first and second round (behavioral and case) interviews with mock interviews offered through Arts & Sciences’ Career Development Center. The team of counselors at the Career Development Center catered their time with me to the specific jobs for which I was applying – taking time on their own to research what sort of questions I might need to answer in the interviews.

While I’m in Dallas, I’ll also be taking a pair of online courses in Microsoft Excel, AEM 2011: Spreadsheet Modeling and AEM 2831: VBA Programming, both of which will help me with the steep technical learning curve I’ll face on the job, through Cornell’s School of Continuing Education and Summer Session. And though both courses are set to be offered simultaneous, each class’ professor has offered me some accommodation on either end so that I can complete the two in sequence.

As a part of the benefits afforded me through my membership in the Meinig Family Cornell National Scholars (MFCNS) leadership development program, I’ll be receiving funding through a monetary support account to help me cover living expenses. Finally, as if the internship and coursework weren’t enough, I’ll also be a part of the Dallas Box Lacrosse League, a Senior A Men’s Indoor program through which I’ll play every Sunday afternoon, continuing a life-long passion for lacrosse that I’ve been able to keep alive here at school on the Cornell Club Lacrosse Team.